My worst day in the woods is better than my Best day at work


So this year the mushrooms started early and my spots didn't produce. I pretty much got skunked. Add to that a sprained ankle and illness this year was just kinda doomed from the get go for me.

I did manage to get my mom out into the woods though! That alone made her year. It had been years since she has had the opportunity to get to the woods.

We went to one smaller park by my house a couple of times. We found one here and one there. They definitely weren't sticking to the rule of "where there is one there is more" we found a total of 4 that day.

The next time we went out was a disaster!
My mother and I got out to the parking area for the park and as we were getting geared up to go in I realized that i forgot the baby carrier at home! No big deal, I'll just carry him.

We set off up the trail with the plan of staying close to the front of the woods. Well I have had some luck with a certain tree right beside the trail so I decided to go check it out!

As I am walking up the trail I can tell that it hadn't been serviced yet. Normally in the spring they go through and flatten it out taking the tire ruts out of it and filling in any wash outs. This had not been done yet and you could tell that someone had drove up to the cabin while the ground was soft.

My mom decides to check by a few trees just off of the trail. I am on a mission to get to the one tree maybe 200 feet from where she is! 

I got my son in my arms and I am not paying that close of attention to my footing.
I take one wrong step and go down. My foot is trying to figure out what happened, first it is cold followed by searing pain. James still safe in my arms has no clue what just happened so he starts fuss because I stopped moving.

After sitting there for a minute my mom asks me what I am doing. Casually I tell her that I sprained my ankle. Ya know, no big deal! She hurries over to me and takes James out of my arms so that I can get up.
I proceed to finish the 15 feet or so to the tree that I wanted to check. I found one frost bitten mushroom by that tree.

That was the end of that trip. We sat by the edge of the trail and played with James until he got hungry. We fed him a packet of food and headed home.

Another trip we went out 2 days after I sprained my ankle. We ended up getting lost for a few hours. We finally found a clearing with buildings.

As we walked through the clearing a man came out of the house and started screaming at us because we were on private property. We tried to reason with him, we were just trying to get to the road but he didn't want to listen. We had to get back into the woods and go up to the road. At least we knew where we were!

My final trip to the woods was fairly uneventful. I ended up finding 7 mushrooms in total, 3 of which were salvageable to eat. The other 4 were rotten.

The season sadly is over. Now on to camping and floating season!!!

Comments